Hopefully you may be impressed by the travel information of Zakynthos Island to discover and discover the Greek Ionian Islands!
They’re as lovely because the Cyclades Islands on the opposite aspect! If something, I feel these islands have been particularly relaxed, fewer tourists and genuine Greeks!
- 1 Kefalonia Island
- 2 ]
- 3 So, when is the perfect time to go to Kefalonia?
- 4 How do I get to Kefalonia Island?
- 5 The place should I keep?
- 6 What is one of the simplest ways to get around the island?
- 7 So what can I see and do on Kefalonia Island?
- 8 Day 1
- 9 Petani Seashore
- 10 Myrtos Seashore
- 11 Assos
- 12 Day 2
- 13 Attempt the pastries at Spathis Baker
- 14 St. George's Fort
- 15 Day 3
- 16 Melissan's Cave
- 17 Antisamos Seashore
Kefalonia is the most important of the Ionian Islands and could be very widespread in Greece as a result of it is a charming village and luxurious exotic seashores. Within the high season because of the measurement of the island, it nonetheless maintains a relaxed and enjoyable way of life.
So, when is the perfect time to go to Kefalonia?
We went to Kefalonia Island for a three-week Greek honeymoon in September 2016. Once we arrived on the island, we met my colleague Sydney sider, born in Kefalonia and return to go to each few years for a number of months at a time.
Based on him, September and October have been the perfect time to go to the island of Kefalonia, since in the course of the summer time months of June to August it’s scorching (which le t is trustworthy, not an excellent feeling to be scorching and sweaty and journey round!) And lots of more tourists is on the island. He advised us that we had chosen the right time to journey to Kefalonia because the climate was just good and there have been fewer and fewer tourists on the island.
How do I get to Kefalonia Island?
choices for travelers to journey to Kefalonia Island together with:
- Fly: We fly from Argostol Airport back to Athens with Olympic Air. Be careful that flights between Athens and the Ionian Islands might be quite expensive until you’re fortunate sufficient to get an affordable deal. Additionally word that there aren’t many flights in Athens; Especially with Olympic Air, only two flights went back to Athens that day, one flight late within the morning and in addition a night flight.
- Ferry: We traveled from the island of Zakynthos, so we acquired a ferry from Zante to Kyllini (mainland Greece), which took about an hour; the ticket worth for one individual was about 9 euros. Then we acquired another ferry from Kyllin to Poros (Kefalonia) on the strains of Kefalonia, which lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes; this ferry ticket costs about 10 euros. For all ferries, you should purchase tickets from the ticket office on the day of departure, be sure to take a look at the time the ferry leaves, and allow enough time to get to the port together with your baggage and purchase tickets. When you find that you are on time in a short while, I like to recommend booking your ferry tickets prematurely.
- Drive: Alternatively you possibly can lease a automotive from Athens and drive yourself to Kyllin to get a ferry. If in case you have time to save lots of in your journey (3.5 hours drive!), And additional bills like petrol and automotive ticket and need to take extra from mainland Greece, be happy to go to it! Most of the locals dwelling on the west aspect of the island go to Kyllin after which take their ferry to Kefalonia Island, which is simpler for them. We found that your rental automotive was a lot simpler to tackle the island.
Issues to Know When You Determine Tips on how to Get to Kefalonia Island:
The design of our Honeymoon was to do a variety of analysis on how we acquired to the island for the first time, after which how did we get to at least one aspect of the island.
In the long run, methods to get there and travel is what fits you greatest and your schedule. That's how we did, so I hope it helps you!
- The Kyllin ferries on the Kefalonia strains (the primary ferry company) cease only for the Sámi or the reindeer, both situated east of the island. We needed to get close to Argostol, the capital of the island of Kefalonia on the west aspect.
- Getting to Argostol took the ferry from Kyllin (mainland Greece) to Poros after which asked for a public bus to Argostol's important bus station, then reached the airport bus to Argostoli Airport, the place we took the rental automotive. We were not too busy arranging our rental automotive and booked it for the last minute so we couldn't take the automotive from Poros port. Most automotive rent corporations can select the tackle or location the place you need to lease a rental automotive. In our case we had a bit of longer journey
- The journey from Poros to Argostoli by public bus takes about an hour and you should purchase the bus tickets if you end up on the bus (be sure to have money for you). The general public bus arriving from Poros was truly the ferry we have been on, so don't fear that your bus is missing as a result of will probably be there whenever you get off!
- Remember that Poros is a public bus to Argostol and vice versa, solely three buses a day on weekdays (Mon-Fri) and only two strains a day at weekend (Sat-Sun). Please look on-line and verify the schedules!
- Based mostly on all the knowledge you just offered, be sure to do your research beforehand and give loads of time to travel to totally different ports together with your baggage and have sufficient time to purchase your ticket and walk to the ferry.
The place should I keep?
There are, in fact, plenty of locations to stay on Kefalonia Island, and depending on your route plan, you could determine to remain in a number of totally different places
On a marriage journey, we determined that we needed to determine ourselves in one place on the island and discover the island by renting a automotive. Though Kefalonia Island is the most important of the good-grandfathers, drive from the southern end of the island (Skala) to the north finish of the island (Fiskardo) for less than about two hours.
We based ourselves on some of the widespread islands, Argostoli. We saved the Airbnb condominium for every week with an unimaginable view.
Can you discover the Airbnb lodging we have been here at: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/5847750? s = oURm0wpK
Argostoli is a reasonably central city on the entire island, and we drove every single day to another a part of the island that lasted only an hour and a half for most! Argostoli itself is a ravishing metropolis and I like to recommend spending the whole day here. There are plenty of cool eating places, cafes and superb bakeries in Argostoli, and in addition in the nearby city of Lassi, if you already know one thing else!
What is one of the simplest ways to get around the island?
I recommend booking a rental automotive prematurely as it is one of the simplest ways to get round and discover the island. We spent four full days driving on the island of Kefalonia and just filling up the gasoline as soon as we returned to the airport.
Unfortunately, the public transport system on the island of Kefalonia is just too uncommon for passengers, which makes the automotive rental on the island so in style
So what can I see and do on Kefalonia Island?
We misplaced a lot of the island in simply four days, and we felt there was loads of time to see the sights, eat, drink and loosen up without feeling like all the things was full! As I stated before, you possibly can cover one end of the island on the opposite aspect in about two hours.
Four days learning the island of Kefalonia was very similar to our journey to the island of Zakynthos; a lot of nice coastal uses, typically trips to the bakery, shoreline, greek cuisine, taking a photograph and just enjoyable!
Here’s a detailed route from four days on the island of Kefalonia:
Because we have been very enthusiastic about Kefalonia Island, we packed various driving and sightseeing tours on the primary day!
The first stop, about 50 minutes from Argostoli, was Petani Seashore!
We drove right down to the seashore and shortly realized that it was very full of individuals, there was no room for parking and the street was very slender! Quickly we rotated and targeted on nice views from above!
One of the crucial necessary causes for vacationers on Kefalonia Island is to see the well-known Myrtos Seashore! On the Kefalonia Island Driving Journey, Myrtos Seashore was solely a 45-minute drive from Petan Seashore
Myrtos Seashore has been featured in a number of journey magazines among the many most lovely beaches in Greece and beaches all over the world. Identical to Navagio Seashore (Shipwreck Seashore) in Zakynthos, Myrtos Seashore can also be probably the most common photographed seashores in Greece.
Once you drive to Myrtos Seashore, it is crucial that you simply pull over (and there’s plenty of room to do so) to a viewing spot where you’ll be able to see Myrtos Seashore from above and take footage! Overlooking the seashore, surrounded by impressive white rocky cliffs, it gives a very beautiful view.
When have you taken footage from above, why not stop swimming and chill out on the seashore? Word that there is not much sand on the seashore, it is principally a pebble seashore, but nonetheless lovely.
One thing we couldn't shake when visiting the beaches on the island of Kefalonia was the number of bees that encompass the seashores! We have been confused that we’d get together!
In case you are going for an hour from Myrtos Seashore, you’ll come to a small, lovely and colourful metropolis of Assos! Assos is a small and charming town on the island of Kefalonia with solely 100 inhabitants! What I beloved about Assos was the colorful homes by means of the water and the peaceable environment. A 30-minute drive from Assos is the seaside city of Fiscardo, situated on the island of Kefalonia in the northern half. It’s a lovely harbor and tranquil setting in Fiscardo, which attracts each traditional boats and luxury yachts through the summer time months to this seaside city.
If you need to have an enormous pie at lunch, there are lots of restaurants and cafes out there and
On Day 2 we decided to stay fairly near the soothing day round town and enjoyable afternoon on the seashore!
Attempt the pastries at Spathis Baker
One of the places we had breakfast, lunch, brunch, afternoon tea and virtually day-after-day was Spathis Bakery at Argostol. In a moment whenever you walk, your nations are tempting for all types of pastries and sweet delicacies to satisfy them! So many ruokavalintoa that’s just literally inconceivable to decide on only one go to, so I have decided that it’s a must to go several occasions to sample so many things on the menu as potential!
St. George's Fort
In case you are in search of lovely views, I like to recommend that you simply make a brief go to to Venice Citadel St George, situated over the city of Peratata about 30 minutes drive from Argostoli. It is FREE entrance to wander the grounds of the citadel to see the ruins, so in case you are on the lookout for something free to do across the area, it will be it! ] Makris Gialos Seashore
Of all of the beaches of Kefalonia Island, Makris Gialos Seashore was considered one of our favorites! It was an actual sand (we have been sick rocks!) Good for enjoyable and lovely crystal blue water good for swimming! This seashore is about seven minutes drive from Argostol metropolis, so it was good for us once we have been on a sandy seashore!
This image of Makris Gialos seashore was taken from our GoPro service
 Attempt some American dishes at Mel & # 39; you need little change! We have been on the lookout for Journey Advisor and low and we appeared to find a cool American dining service within the identify of the restaurant within the city of Mel, a few five-minute drive from Argostol.
They have one of the best smoothies and we completely take pleasure in consuming hamburgers, our little cat good friend retains us as an organization!
One of the fashionable points of interest on the island of Kefalonia is the pure phenomenon of the Melissan Cave. Melissan Cave is situated simply outdoors Sam Metropolis, east of Kefalonia Island. We drove about 45 minutes drive from Melissan Collapse Argostol Metropolis.
Once you arrive at the Melissan Cave, there’s loads of parking should you drive and then stroll into a cave where you pay 7 euros per individual. . You stroll down the steps after which to the bottom of an extended ramp where you’re taken by means of a 15-minute boat journey via the cave. As the photographs show, the visit was nicely value it!
Melissani Cave is an underground rocky cave with crystal clear water about 20-30 meters deep, surrounded by timber and woods. What makes Melissan's cave so magical and enchanting when the sun shines over the cave in the midst of the day; the sun hits the crystal clear water and creates the illusion of a blue mild-crammed cave
When you drive from the Melissan Cave, Antisamos Seashore is simply a 15 minute drive away. Antisamos Seashore is likely one of the largest beaches on Kefalonia Island, making it very fashionable for swimming, sunbathing and water sports activities resembling canoeing and canoeing.